Popular Posts

Friday, June 10, 2016

HOW the MAALAN AARUM was DECIPHERED

“You are using Internet postings and readings.”

PLEASE! Stop stating unfounded assumptions.  Your statement above is a paradigm in your head.  The paradigm is NOT valid.

But—because you asked—you may read how I filtered though these woods for thirty (30) years.

I began with a book entitled “Ancient Pioneers and Early Crossings,” by Anita Stromsted, an author with Norwegian Heritage.

In that book I learned for the first time that four thousand (4,000) Norse people vanished from Greenland about 1350.  Four thousand people just do NOT vanish.  Then I made a promise to find out where they went.

But first I had to finish my task of earning money to raise a family.  That took fourteen (14) years.

In AD 2,000, I read books on Greenland for 18 months.  Then, when I knew Greenland history well, I went looking for Anita’s next clue: “the Walam Olum.”

I found the Walam Olum in the book by Brinton, “The Lenape and their Legends.”  Within a day, I recognized that chapter 3 was the history of Greenland.

Anita had suggested that I start with a Norwegian Dictionary, but that dictionary only resolved 30% of the Walam Olum words.  So I started hunting for Anita’s next clue, “The VIKING and the RED MAN, (VRM) by Reiter T. Sherwin.

A Norwegian friend and I eventually found all eight (8) volumes of the VRM.  I estimated that each volume had at least 4,000 LENAPE (a.k.a. Algonquin) words compared to the OLD NORSE phrase that created the LENAPE word.

So, I estimated that Sherwin had compiled about 32,000 LENAPE words.  I tell people he compiled about 30,000 words, so I have a cushion for those uninformed, which find ONE Lenape word that is not in the VRM and declare that Sherwin is not valid.

Then I got to thinking.  Could I use the VMR to decipher the Maalan Aarum, which is the name that Sherwin said the Walam Olum really should be.

The first stanza took me about a month.  But after I became more familiar the average deciphering time takes about a week per stanza.
My deciphering resulted is shown in the LENAPE deciphering table.

So, after about six months effort, I had the first 20 stanzas of Chapter 3 deciphered.

I decided that someone else should decipher the Maalan Aarum too.  So, skeptics, who would accuse me of being the only doing the deciphering, would not catch me.  They might claim I was making the whole thing up,

So, Dr. Frank Esposito of Kean University assigned three under graduate students to investigate the LENAPE.  Craig Judge, a Cherokee, developed into the best decipher.  He deciphered about ten stanzas.  His perseverance resulted in the correct words for difficult stanzas.

In the meantime, I asked my friend, Karl Hoenke, who was on a tour to Iceland, to ask our mutual contact, Vladimir Samuelsson, if he could find any format from Iceland that might explain the organization of the LENAPE words in the stanzas.

Vladimir sent back the Drottkvaett (eight line) format.  I realized the Drottkvaett format might be a self-validating format using sounds.  Basically ever six syllables must have alliteration and a rhyme.

I test the Drottkvaett format with the Old Norse syllables I had deciphered using Sherwin’s VRM.  The Old Norse syllables were about 80% correct.

Craig and I began to use the Drottkvaett format to determine how valid our decipherment was.  Craig, in particular, would search for LENAPE words and their Old Norse equivalent until he got 100% validation.

The 38 stanza of the LENAPE history, which includes the Norse hunters camping throughout North America, the eco-disaster, which caused LENAPE to resettle in Minnesota, the Little Ice Age, which caused the Catholics on Greenland to begin a migration from Greenland to New Jersey, via the Dakotas, has been deciphered into the original Old Norse syllables.

Sherwin provides the English meaning of the Old Norse syllables.  So, what you see for each stanza has been self-verified.  We are reading the English version of a stanza that was spoken by a man speaking Old Norse about 654 years ago.

So I hope you can understand my anger when you try to dismiss years of scientific effort by muttering a statement, which I know is NOT valid:

“You are using Internet postings and readings.”

Because, in a previous conversation, I learned that you do not have human decency to apologize, I suggest you remain silent until you have a valid statement.


No comments:

Post a Comment